This light and flavorful dish will be a show stopper at any dinner party for the holidays or just for you and some special people in your home to enjoy.
Easy. Simple. Done.
- 8 sprigs cilantro, separate leaves and stems and roughly chop both
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 2 small shallots, sliced thin
- ½ tsp whole coriander seeds
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp zest plus 1 tbsp. juice from 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- 15oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Thai green curry paste
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce, plus more to taste
- 2lbs fresh PEI mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 small Thai or Serrano chili, thinly sliced
- Combine cilantro stems, half of garlic, half of shallot, coriander seed, chili flakes, lime zest and a small pinch of kosher salt in a mortar and pestle. Grind into a smooth paste
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of thick cream from the top of the can of coconut milk and add to a large saucepan.
- Add oil and heat over medium heat
- Add remaining garlic and shallots, pounded paste, curry paste.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Add remaining contents of coconut milk can, sugar, and fish sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and cook about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste
- Add mussels, stir, cover, and cook, shaking pan constantly until mussels are open. Stir in chopped cilantro leaves, fresh chili, and lime juice.
- Discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Divide mixture between four bowls including the broth.