This light and simple dish can be prepared to be served either hot or cold for any time of year as an appetizer or a great side.
Easy. SImple. Done.
Serves 4-6 as an entrée or 12 as a side dish
Ingredients / Cous Cous Tomato
- 1 dozen medium tomatoes
- 1 box of Israeli couscous
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, chopped
- 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice a very thin section off the bottom of the washed tomatoes to allow them to stand up without rolling around. Then slice off the tops and scoop out the insides with a spoon or melon baller.
- Sprinkle the interior of the tomatoes generously with salt and then place upside down on a paper towel for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the couscous grains into a large mixing bowl.
- Refer to package instructions to cook the cous cous
- Once cooked, mix the garbanzo beans, pine nuts, basil, spinach, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper into the couscous.
- In a small sauté pan, cook the shallots over medium-low heat with about a tablespoon of olive oil.
- As the shallots start to become translucent, add in the garlic and a pinch of salt.
- If the pan is dry, add more oil.
- After adding the garlic, sauté for about 30-60 seconds longer, or until you can start to smell the garlic and it softens.
- Add the cooked shallots and garlic into the couscous mixture and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Spray a glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes and top with about a teaspoon of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the tomatoes into the baking dish.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the breadcrumb topping.
- Bake uncovered in the 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the tomato skin starts to split and soften.
- Eat right away.
Ingredients / Mint Pesto
- 3/4 cup packed mint leaves
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 scallions, thickly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Combine mint, parsley, garlic and lemon zest and process in food processor.
- Add in the oil in a thin stream.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Drizzle over and around the tomato’s when ready to serve.
Fire it up!