This is a great, light, easy, Vegan and gluten free dish that can be prepared ahead of time.
Easy. Simple. Done.
Gluten Free and Vegan
- 3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped and toasted
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (about 2 large)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toast the walnuts for 7-9 minutes until fragrant and golden, watching to make sur they don’t burn.
- Meanwhile, add the oats into the food processor and process until finely chopped. You want the texture to be like coarse flour.
- Remove and place into a large bowl.
- Add the grated carrot, chopped parsley, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and walnuts.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans into the food processor and process until finely chopped. You want the mixture to be a coarse paste with some beans still intact, but don’t completely puree the mixture.
- Stir the processed beans into the bowl with the vegetables and oat flour.
- In a mug, whisk together the ground flax and water. Let it sit for only 15-20 seconds, any longer and it will get too thick.
- Stir into the vegetable bean mixture until fully combined.
- Stir in the oil, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) into the bowl, adjusting amounts to taste if necessary.
- Shape the mixture into 18-20 balls (the size of golf-balls), packing each ball tightly between your hands so it holds together well. Place each ball onto the prepared baking sheet an inch or two apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip the balls and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden on both sides.
- After baking, place balls on a cooling rack for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve with spaghetti squash or pasta and your favorite tomato sauce